Saturday, May 9, 2015

A Mother's Day Confession

I have been very selfish this week.  Kids are wrapping up school and all their many activities; Nick has been working long nights and weekends; and my patience ran dry before the week began.  It's true that the mom's attitude reflects in your family's life.  It's hard for a momma to make that conscious decision to choose kind words and a loving attitude when she really doesn't feel like it.  I tend to feel like a less than deserving person when Mother's Day rolls around.  I am REALLY great at setting unattainable goals for myself in what kind of mother I should be.  And then when I fail (because I do) I get discouraged and think these kids deserve better/someone else.  But God chose to give them to me to raise, and since He knows better than I, I need to count my blessings and quit trying to be perfect.   I need to just be the mom who is quick to forgive and ask for forgiveness, who is full of grace and understanding, and who is able to jump on those teachable moments and know that they won't remember all of your faults.

Thanks to my mom, I've learned, and I am still learning, how to grow as a mom.  My mom has always told me, happiness is a choice.  Look for the good in every circumstance and choose joy.  When the kids drive you crazy, just remember they are probably just as tired as you are and there is usually a deeper reason for their behavior.  And when there are 15 kids (okay, maybe just 4 girls but can feel like 15) in your home every afternoon, be glad they want to hang out at your home where you know where they are and what they are doing.  Pick your battles and pray.

This year Mother's Day is causing me to think about those precious mommas who have never known their child.  There are so many moms who have suffered miscarriages, abortions, or infertility.  What must Mother's Day feel like for them?  What about the kids without mothers?  If you know someone that Mother's Day might not be a joyful occasion, reach out and offer them a hug or a "Thank you".  Chances are they have mothered someone along the way, whether or not it was their biological child. Let's not let them be forgotten.

And when Mother's Day is over and you are facing unending loads of laundry, 50 cups in the sink when only 4 people live in your home, snacks stocking your pantry because you are the neighborhood  soup kitchen, be grateful.  It just means you have kids to take care of and lives to impact for such a short time before they're gone.  


No comments:

Post a Comment