Thursday, July 25, 2013

I Must be Wishing It was Fall...

So, when I get in the cooking and baking mood, I tend to go with soups or warm, fall desserts.  Doesn't matter that it feels like 100+ degrees outside or that my stove and oven will be on all day.  Warm soups,  apples, they are comfort to me.  So last night I made Ravioli Stew (recipe to follow) and an Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake with Caramel Pecan Frosting.  Lauren told me after taking her first bite of this cake that I make the best cakes ever and was saying please and thank you like it was effortless (yes, we may have cake for dessert every night).

I must have known my family would need some comforting.  We received some unexpected news of a death in the family.  Nick had no more than finished his dinner and left to pick up Lauren from a play date when he got the call.  He is always so good to care for his family and help comfort those despite his own mourning.  When he made it back home, there was a yummy cake waiting for him (Yes, I know we are not to comfort ourselves with food.  I think most of you understand what I'm meaning by "comfort food".)

I've made the Ravioli Stew since Nick and I got married and have made it for work luncheons many times.  It is super easy and full of veggies and my kids eat it, so double bonus!  Here it is, hope you enjoy!

Ravioli Stew

1 Tbsp olive oil
3 medium carrots (chopped)
2 medium ribs celery (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 (1 lb. 10 oz.) jar pasta sauce
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 cup water
1 package (12-16 oz) fresh or frozen ravioli (cooked and drained)

In 6 qt saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook carrots, celery and onions 8 minutes or until golden.


Stir in sauce, broth and water.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. 


These are the raviolis I used.  I've used cheese and meat, square and round, but my family tends to like the square, cheese ones the best.


Just before serving, stir in hot ravioli and season, if desired, with salt and pepper.  Garnish, if desired, with basil.  (I didn't use salt, pepper or basil this time.)


Finished product!


And here's my cake but you can use the link above to see a much better picture from the original source.  I did not add the pecans on top because the frosting set up really fast.


I hope you enjoy at least one of these recipes, even though it's not fall.  

{Please keep Nick's family in your prayers. His mom's family has lost many close family members in a very short time. It's never easy, no matter how strong your faith is. Times like this I often wonder how people without faith make it through, well, life. So very thankful for my God who is the Healer and who answers every, EVERY, prayer. His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways. Things are not always for us to understand.}





No comments:

Post a Comment